While playing around with MS SQL Server 2012 today I got into trouble running queries in the database from CloverETL. The connection initialized, I was able to browse the structure, graph started but no result would come out from DBInputTable or DBExecute.
Looking at the code I found out that the connection got stuck in
setAutoCommit(false) call while initializing in CloverETL. Even a simple test code froze on the first call to
StackOverflow had the answer (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8986350/jdbc-connection-hangs-with-no-response-from-sql-server-2008-r2/14101687#14101687): the issue was caused by Oracle JDK 6.0 update 29, where SSL would not initialize correctly.
After I updated my Java to JDK 6.0 update 37 all started to work fine. I hope some of you experiencing this annoying behavior will find this helpful.